Who is the Presbytery of Southeastern Illinois?
As we move through 2016, we are 83 congregations, 99 Teaching Elders and Camp Carew. Our churches span from Hoopeston to the north and Cairo to the south from communities all along the Indiana border from Paris, New Providence and Shawneetown to Tilden and Chester on the west.
We also have within our bounds two service organizations, Kemmerer Village and the Illinois Presbyterian Home, that have Board members form the Presbytery of Southeastern Illinois and our neighbor to the north, Great Rivers Presbytery. We even have a university in our midst that has roots in the Presbyterian Church – Milliken University.
The Presbytery come together in meetings 4 times a year in which commissioners appointed by each congregation and the minister members make decisions concerning the ministries of the Presbytery.
The Presbytery of Southeastern Illinois was formed in 1972 from 3 presbyteries. Our oldest churches include Donnellson and Golconda, both were organized in 1819. Our newest one, Copper Creek was organized in 2012.
We look forward to celebrating 45 years in faithful ministry together in 2017.
The presbytery committees are composed of volunteers from Ruling Elders from the 83 churches and the 99 minister members. Tehre are 22 churches being served by full timecalled and installed pastors. As of today, our smallest church has 5 members and the largest church has 687 members.
Submitted by Stated Clerk Cindy Bean